Main Activity in Nanotechnology
Utilising a wide range of techniques CSMA interrogate surfaces, layer systems and interfaces of most materials. Working with clients to solve problems, as part of a quality control system, to validate a process, in litigation cases using our accredited expert witnesses or routine analysis CSMA can help clients in a range of industries.
Types of analysis undertaken by CSMA:
- Surface chemical mapping of organic and inorganic chemistry, for applications in the pharmaceutical, packaging and life sciences industries.
- Film thickness and density determination.
- Development of novel materials
- Failure analysis in a wide range of industries including hard discs, microelectronics, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, aerospace, glass and automotive.
- Determining topographic information.
- Non-destructive detection of physical defects.
- Quantitative chemistry of organic and inorganic materials including oxidation states for applications in a variety of technology sectors including non-destructive depth profiling of oxynitrides and ultra thin mixed metal oxides.
- Dose measurements, dopant diffusion, process monitoring in silicon devices and growth of III/V or II/VI compound semiconductors.
- Dopant solubility and diffusion measurements in ultra thin layers such as SiGe, stained silicon, oxynitrides, high k materials and a range of new applications in the areas of layers on glass, light emitting devices and MQW in III/V compound semiconductors.
- Quantitative depth profiling of oxides, nitrides, alloys, BPSG and other complex compounds.
- Accurate compositional measurements of a wide range of alloys, nitrides and oxides.
Techniques employed by CSMA include:
- Imaging ToFSIMS (Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- DSIMS (Dynamic Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- ULESIMS (Ultra-Low Energy Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- SNMS (Sputtered Neutral Mass Spectrometry)
- XPS (X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
- XRD (X-Ray Diffraction)
- XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence)
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy)
- SEM/EDX (Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive Analysis)
- SAM (Scanning Acoustic Microscopy)
- RBS (Rutherford Backscattering Spectroscopy)
- 3DP (Non-contact Surface Profiling)
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infra Red Spectroscopy)
- GC-MS (Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry)